2017 (46th Annual) Engine 260 Muster was held Saturday, September 9 at Milford's Eisenhower Park
This year's featured apparatus was
West Ridge's (North Haven)
The photo below was taken at Hamden's 1969 Memorial Day Parade. See next week's update for photos of the outstanding restoration of this 92-year old pumper, along with other fire apparatus featured at the 2017 Engine 260 Muster.
West Ridge's 1925 American-LaFrance in Hamden's 1969 Memorial Day Parade (CLICK to enlarge) - Photo by Ed Doiron, Sr.
A few weeks back, an anonymous gentlemen stopped by Station 2. He had found this 1890s metal "HAMDEN" Cairns fire helmet and wanted to donate it to the department. The gentleman did not know where the helmet came from, but the "1" on the leather ID suggests that it was from Highwood Co. 1, Hamden's first fire company, organized in 1896.
"1897" is the most recent patent date on the tag inside the helmet.
1950: Fr. Bernard Miller and Rev. Joseph Peters
AHA! Could the mystery helmet be one of these two helmets? (The one of the right looks like a possible candidate.) Could be.
Father F. Bernard Miller (left) of St. Rita's Roman Catholic Church and Rev. Joseph Peters of the Mt. Carmel Congregational Church were sworn in as the department's first two chaplains at the annual dinner of the Hamden Paid Firemen's Sick Benefit Association at fire headquarters on October 10, 1950.
The helmet that was brought to Station 2 may very well be the one sitting atop Rev. Peters' head in the photo.
The question is, were these helmets assigned to these good men of the clergy, or were they merely props for the 1950 photo op at HQ? And just who provided them?
The helmet is on display in the Fire Chief Office. Is is undoubtedly the earliest surviving example of a piece of Hamden turnout gear.
Bassett's Getty Service Station 3050 Whitney Avenue Wednesday, September 9, 1987
Mechanic touched off blaze that enguled service station, then blamed department for "not doing more" to save building.
On Wednesday, September 9, 1987, a mechanic using a torch underneath an automobile ignited a gasoline fire in Bassett's Getty Service Station at 3050 Whitney Avenue. The building was fully involved within minutes. Miraclulously, no one was injured.
CLICK on the photo at right to view more photos of the incident, as well as news articles about criticism that was leveled against the department by a Legislative Council member whose brother's torch caused the fire.