As Fire Prevention Week™ approaches, Hamden Fire Department reminds residents:
“Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!™
October 07, 2020 – The Hamden Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®) — the official sponsor of Fire Prevention Week for more than 90 years —to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” The campaign works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.
According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries in the United States. Almost half (44%) of reported home fires started in the kitchen. Two-thirds (66%) of home cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.
“We know cooking fires can be prevented,” said Lorraine Carli, NFPA’s vice-president of outreach and advocacy. “Staying in the kitchen, using a timer, and avoiding distractions such as electronics or TV are steps everyone can take to keep families safe in their homes.”
The Hamden Fire Department encourages all residents to embrace the 2020 Fire Prevention Week theme.
“The most important step you should take before making a meal is to “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” said Brian Dolan, Hamden Fire Marshal. “A cooking fire can grow quickly. I have seen many homes damaged and people injured by fires that could have been prevented.”
The Hamden Fire Department wants to share safety tips to keep you from having a cooking fire.
Never leave cooking food unattended. Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling or broiling. If you have to leave, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.
You have to be alert when cooking. You won’t be alert if you are sleepy, have taken medicine or drugs, or consumed alcohol that makes you drowsy.
Always keep an oven mitt and pan lid nearby when you’re cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan to smother the flame. Turn off the burner, and leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.
Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
The Hamden Fire Department is hosting a series of events in support of this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!”, including a virtual distance learning presentation to the town’s elementary schools.
To find out more about Fire Prevention Week programs and activities in Hamden, CT please contact the Hamden Fire Department at (203) 407-3182. For more general information about Fire Prevention Week and cooking fire prevention, visit www.fpw.org.
Saturday, 10/3 - We reported yesterday that our fellow HFRA member, retired B/C Gil Spencer, was hospitalized Friday morning after having been home only one week following several months of in-patient physical rehabilitation at Whitney Center and Elim Park.
The really good news today is that Gil is back home again as of this afternoon. A note or a card from his active and retired colleagues would still be a big pick-me-up for Gil. Please feel fre to contact email@example.com if you need Gil's email or home addresses.
All on duty units responded to a structure fire at 680 Mix Avenue today. Companies were met with a working fire in the garage area that had already extended into an apartment above. The fire was quickly extinguished with only minor injuries reported.pic.twitter.com/U8jUlq5s56
The website thanks Fire Marshal Brian Dolan for the information provided below,
and to retired Hamden Firefighter Kevin Shields for these outstanding photos.
All photos by Kevin Shields (HFD, Ret.) - CLICK TO ENLARGE
At 2:24 on Wednesday afternoon, September 30th, the Hamden Fire Department responded to a fire at the Broadmoor Apartments, 680 Mix Avenue.
The first fire crew arrived on scene at 2:29 p.m. and encountered heavy fire in a basement storage area, where fire had gotten started in a large industrial trash bin and then spread to three adjacent bins. The fire followed a pipe chase to two apartments immediately above the storage area.
Firefighters overhauled partition walls in the apartments to extinguish the fire hidden within the walls. Crews then ventilated smoke from all six floors of the apartment building. Residents were able to return to their units at approximately 5:30 PM.
Evacuation a Priority
Four members of the Hamden Police Department had arrived first on scene and made multiple entries to evacuate numerous residents from the smoke filled hallways and stairwells of the six story building. All four police officers were treated on scene by medical personnel for smoke inhalation.
HPD first on the scene
Two non-ambulatory residents had to be rescued by fire personnel during fire suppression efforts. Three residents were transported by ambulance for smoke inhalation.
Two firefighters were transported to the hospital including one with first degree burn injuries. Two other firefighters suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene.
With every piece of Hamden fire apparatus committed at the scene, mutual aid was provided by area fire departments. New Haven Engine Co. 8 (Whitney Avenue) and a NHFD battalion chief assisted at the scene.
Companies from the Bethany, Cheshire, and North Haven Fire Departments covered Hamden fire stations and responded to emergency calls during the fire. The American Red Cross provided assistance and accommodations to four residents displaced by the fire.
Thirteen days earlier, fire personnel responded to 660 Mix Avenue, another building in the Broadmoor complex, for a kitchen fire (see September 2020 page).
"Car 1, on scene."
Batt. Chief Ron Desroches, 33-year department veteran
It's out! Time for salvage, overhaul, & smoke ejectors.
At age 94, the oldest Hamden fire department retiree and a good friend to all Hamden firemen is our own retired Supt. of Alarms and Apparatus Richard "Richie" Lostritto, who retired 35 years ago this December. Richie came on the job 70 years ago last month and was assigned to Engine 6 on Merritt Street. His very first call was indeed one that he will always remember:
Governor Lamont Directs Flags to Half-Staff Sunday for National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service
(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont today announced that he is directing U.S. and state flags in Connecticut to be lowered to half-staff from sunrise to sunset on Sunday, October 4, 2020 in recognition of the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service, an annual observance that occurs during Fire Prevention Week and honors the sacrifices of fallen firefighters who have died in the line of duty.
“Firefighters dedicate themselves to the safety of our neighborhoods and put their lives on the line to protect others,” Governor Lamont said. “I am thankful to the firefighters who protect our communities and its people, and I encourage everyone to reflect upon those who have given their lives in the line of duty.”