Hamden Fire Retirees

Staying Connected . . . . . .

HOME10513

ACTION!

Alumni

Announcements

APPARATUS

Civil Defense Fire Aux.

Gamewell Boxes

Hamden Then & Now

Historical Notes

Links

Mountain Rescue Team

Parades

Public Education

Secure Pages

Roster

Minutes - Jan. 12, 2010

Minutes - Nov. 10, 2009

Minutes - Sept. 22, 2009

Minutes - June 9, 2009

Minutes - May 11, 2009

April 7th Letter

Special Events

Station 1

Station 2

Station 3 - Putnam

Station 3 - Hartford Tpke

Station 4

Station 5

Station 6

Station 7

Station 8

Station 9

Share Your Memories

Videos

We Remember

 
French-Italian Building
New Haven Register, January 24, 1985 (Photo by John Mongillo, Jr.)
New Haven Register, January 24, 1985 (Photo by John Mongillo, Jr.)
1206-1216 Dixwell Avenue
Thursday, January 24, 1985


 A multi-alarm fire in the bank section of Hamden heavily damaged the two-story commercial building popularly known as the French-Italian Building.  The fire started in an electrical panel in the rear of the second floor and quickly spread into the voids above.

Firefighters quickly initiated an interior attack but were hindered in their efforts to confine the blaze.  A common cockloft above false ceilings allowed the fire to extend into confined spaces that were impossible to reach.  After about an hour, a very large air-conditioning unit atop the already weakened roof necessitated the evacuation of all firefighters from the building.  Shortly thereafter the air-conditioning unit fell through.  The fire was finally extinguished with master streams from both ladder trucks.  Four firefighters received minor injuries.

Erected in 1948, the classic Art Deco design building housed six stores on the first floor and ten commercial offices on the second.  The French-Italian Importing Company, a one-story liquor store that was partitioned from the main building, was located right on the corner of Dixwell and Helen.

The building was rebuilt within a year.  The French-Italian Importing Company is still in business today.  At least three Hamden firefighters, Fred Knudsen, Danny O'Connell, and Burt Hillocks, worked there part-time on their days off from the fire department.  Burt recently recalled that he used to make local deliveries for the liquor store and noted that the folks who owned French-Italian Imports were nice folks to work for.


Photo by Steve Manente, from the front page of the January 30, 1985 edition of The Hamden Chronicle
Patrick Meighan's article from The Hamden Chronicle, January 30, 1985
__________

Photos by Joe Ciscone


Joe Ciscone, who is now a 22-year veteran of the East Haven Fire Department, was on the scene that day and he took some amazing photos.  We are very grateful to Joe for allowing our website to post some of his photos, which are copyrighted (c) 2009 by Joe Ciscone.

Joe has been taking fire photos for over thirty years.  He has an outstanding website which features fire photos from Hamden and many other departments statewide.   www.cisconephotos.smugmug.com

Joe snapped total of 25 photos of the French-Italian building fire, as well as 17 photos of the 27 Edwards Street fire a few weeks later, all of which are available for purchase from Joe's website.


Photo by Joe Ciscone - (c) 2009 Joe Ciscone
Photo by Joe Ciscone - (c) 2009 Joe Ciscone
Photo by Joe Ciscone - (c) 2009 Joe Ciscone
Photo by Joe Ciscone - (c) 2009 Joe Ciscone
Photo by Joe Ciscone - (c) 2009 Joe Ciscone
Photo by Joe Ciscone - (c) 2009 Joe Ciscone
Photo by Joe Ciscone - (c) 2009 Joe Ciscone
Photo by Joe Ciscone - (c) 2009 Joe Ciscone
__________

More Newspaper Photos
Newspaper photo by Kirby Kennedy, provided by Jim Moore
Newspaper photo by Kirby Kennedy, provided by Jim Moore

The above color photo by Kirby Kennedy was on the front page of the January 25, 1985 edition of The New Haven Journal-Courier.  The Journal-Courier, published by the The New Haven Register, was New Haven's morning newspaper until it ceased publication in March 1987.

__________


We found the newspaper item (below) in the archives of the Hamden Historical Society
while leafing through some back issues of The Hamden Chronicle.  It was on front page of the March 25, 1948 edition, which seems to correct erroneous news accounts that the "French-Italian" building was between 70 and 90 years old at the time of the 1985 fire.  In fact, the building was less than 40 years old.

Announcement in The Hamden Chronicle - March 25, 1948
__________

Photo by Joe Ciscone







WATCH THE VIDEO


CLICK on the photo at left to view a YouTube selection showing coverage from three local newscasts (WVIT-Channel 30, WTNH-Channel 8 and WFSB-Channel 3), followed by several minutes of raw video footage taken by freelance videographer Pete Thomas, who often contributed to local television newscasts.


Photo by John Mongillo, Jr.

Where noted, photos on this webpage are © Copyright 2009 by Joe Ciscone.
All other photos and commentary on this website, not otherwise in the Public Domain,
are © Copyright 2009-10 by the Hamden Fire Retirees' Assn.

Website powered by Network Solutions®