According to the newspaper article below, the Horton Manufacturing Co. was located at the top of Home Place on the right hand side of the road "on a hill behind St. Mary's Cemetery in Mount Carmel." The Hamden Fire Department logbook for 1931-1940 stated that the call was received at 11:15 p.m. Engines 5, 4, 3 and the hook and ladder responded, with a total of 32 personnel. Recall was at 4:00 a.m. $14,000 in damages was recorded.
The building occupant was listed as "Edwards Fishing Rod Co.", so the best guess is that the Horton Mfg. Co. was the mother company (clarifications are always welcome.) Veteran Hamden firefighter Bill Bossoli, now 93, recently recalled being one of the many witnesses of the fire when he was a boy.
From the New Haven Evening Register, Monday, December 1932 - CLICK to enlarge
CLICK on article to enlarge for reading
Edwards Fishing Rods
The Edwards Fishing Rod Co. was established by Eustis Edwards, who died the year before the fire. Sons William and Eugene eventually formed their own separate fishing rod businesses in Mount Carmel. William's company, Bill Edwards & Son, was located at 3321 Whitney Avenue, opposite the Yantic Beef Co. It was last listed in the 1957 Hamden City directory.
Eugene's business, Gene Edwards Fishing Rod Co., was located at 3820 Whitney Avenue, opposite the Sleeping Giant Golf Course. It was listed for the last time in the 1955 SNET telephone directory. (See the 1955 SNET yellow pages listings for both business at right.)
The Edwards Fishing Rod. Co. was well known worldwide for its fine custom fly rods that are now quite valuable. Check out the link below for more about the history of that company.