It has been nearly six decades since the delivery of Hamden's first postwar Maxim pumper, which served the department until the 1990s. It was initially assigned as Engine 2, but served later as Engine 3, Engine 5, Engine 9 and Engine 19 (Vol Co. 9).
The exact date that it was sold is not known, but it changed hands at least once. Hamden Firefighter Daryl Osiecki recently found it in Shelton, along with one of the two S-model 100 GPM Maxims delivered in October 1968.
AUGUST 1951 - SHINY AND NEW! (Photo courtesy of Chan Brainard)
1951 Maxim on the scene in 1954 (Photo by Chan Brainard)