On Sunday, November 26, 1950, a hurricane with winds of 70 m.p.h. hit southern Connecticut. In an article published on the front page of the November 30th edition of The Hamden Chronicle, Fire Marshal Albert Purce opined that this hurricane "was far more destructive than the fabled 1938 hurricane." Indeed, for Hamden it was. The majority of damage to Hamden in 1938 was in the form of about 400 fallen trees. The 1950 hurricane damage was far more severe. The photographs published in that edition of the Chronicle convey the magnitude of destruction that affected some Hamden areas.
The practice of naming hurricanes began in 1954, the year Hurricane Carol hit southern Connectricut. The last significant hurricane to hit Hamden was Hurricane Gloria in 1985.
All of the photos below may be enlarged by clicking on them.
CLICK to enlarge - Courtesy of the Hamden Historical Society
Page 1 article (con'd)
Garage at 844 Dixwell collapsed on auto
2416 State Street
These five drying shacks were destroyed at the Connecticut Brick Co. on State Street.
1140 Whitney Avenue, just north of Hamden Hall
2804 Whitney Avenue (Today the parking lot for Whitney Manor)
2330 Whitney Avenue (A two-story commercial building is located there now)
2341 Whitney Avenue (torn down in 1983)
The Jensen home on Still Hill Road burned to the ground because downed wires delayed alerting the fire department. In addition, all routes leading to the scene were all blocked by fallen trees.