Retired HFD Lieut. Alerted Central - Fire Attack Video Below
(CLICK on news article below to enlarge)
Photo courtesy of Chief's Office
Bob Mordecai was on his computer in the basement of his 234 Garvin Road home when his wife rushed in from outside screaming that the house next door was on fire. Mordecai, a retired HFD lieutenant and HFRA president, ran out to see that his neighbor's garage fully involved.
After ensuring that his neighbor was safely outside, Mordecai called 9-1-1 at 12:48 and informed the dispatcher that he was a retired HFD fire lieutenant and that the house at 220 Garvin Road was "fully involved." Mordecai's description, which was announced on dispatch, allowed responding crews to anticipate their actions on arrival.
On arrival at 12:54, Engine 9 reported heavy fire with extension to the attic space above the garage and home. Fire crews quickly determined no one was inside the home. Gusting winds contributed to the fire spread in the attic. The roof was opened and interior companies pulled ceilings to work on fire suppression. At 1:24, a section of roof collapsed from the fire load and all personnel were ordered out of the house for a short period until defensive operations stabilized the situation.
The fire was declared under control at 1:38 by Battalion Chief Richard Otlowski. One firefighter sustained a minor burn. No other injuries were reported. Two people who reside at the address are displaced as a result of the fire and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
In a New Haven Register article (see below), Marshal Brian Dolan determined the fire to be accidental. When a portable propane heater ignited gasoline vapors inside the garage, the homeowner tried unsuccessfully to used a portable fire extinguisher to control the fire, which then extended up the inside walls and into the attic through a pull-down stairway.
Running assignment: Engine 9, Engine 5, Squad 1, Rescue 1, Tower 1 and Car 3 (Batt. Chief) / RIT: Engine 3 and Rescue 2. Also responding: Car 1 (Chief), Car 2 (Dep. Chief) and Car 4 (Training Officer). Car 5 (Marshal) lives further up the street and was already on the scene.
The website thanks the Fire Chief's Office and Dep. Chief Gary Merwede for providing the photo and some of the info in this article.
New Haven Register, Tuesday, November 21, 2017 (CLICK TO ENLARGE FOR EASIER READING)
Robert Mordecai Photo
Bob immediately grabbed his three digital cameras to take photos and videos of Engine 9's crew on arrival and their subsequent actions to extinguish the heavy fire, which had already extended from the garage into the attic of the ranch house.
In the second significant structure fire in three days, the Hamden Fire Department was dispatched to a fire in a two-family house at 132-134 Shepard Street, between Goodrich and Read, on Thanksgiving afternoon, November 23, at 4:53 p.m. The initial 911 caller reported smoke and flames showing from the third floor of the home, with the possibility of family members being there.
First companies arrived at 4:57 and reported heavy fire showing and committed to a search. Initial searchable areas were reported negative, while suppression operations were starting. Due to the proximity to the New Haven city line, the New Haven Fire Department also responded, having received multiple calls from their nearby residents.
Hamden Battalion Chief Ronald Desroches took command of the incident and coordinated the efforts of both departments to bring the fire under control at 5:27. The third floor living area sustained heavy fire damage and the lower floors had smoke and water damage. There was no fire spread to the exposed adjacent properties.
Due to the age of the home, extensive overhaul was needed to extinguish any hidden fire. The Hamden Building Inspector was called to examine the structure and United Illuminating cut power to the electrical service. Due to fire, smoke and water damage, the home is uninhabitable.
Through the help of neighbors and nearby family members the residents of the home were contacted out-of-state where they had gone for the Thanksgiving holiday. They left for their trip earlier this morning and will remain with relatives for a while. The Red Cross will assist as needed upon the family’s return to Hamden.
During suppression operations, one firefighter sustained a shoulder injury and was transported to Yale New Haven Hospital for treatment. There were no civilian injuries.
Hamden Fire Marshal Brian Dolan is investigating the origin and cause of this fire.
The website thanks the Fire Chief's Office and Dep. Chief Gary Merwede for providing the photo and article.
Fire Photographer Shirley Mangler Preserved History
Shirley Mangler's talent and generosity as an expert photographer have been priceless gifts to the preservation of our history. Wife of our own retiree, 42-year department veteran Harold Mangler, Shirley captured hundreds of images of Department emergencies and related activities during the past three decades. Shirley was eventually assigned a department ID card by the Chief, which named her as an official department photographer. Many of Shirley's fire photos have been published in the local press and even shown on area television news broadcasts.
Thirty years ago this coming week - on Saturday, November 28, 1987, to be exact - Shirley documented a live burn training session on Paradise Avenue, conducted by career personnel for the four Hamden volunteer fire companies. CLICK on this photo to view many of the images Shirley captured that day.