firefighters discover traveling fire in joist bays.
Friday, Jan. 13 - This morning Hamden Central Communications received a call from the residents at 28 Lynmot Road reporting a bathroom ceiling fan on fire. The Hamden Fire Department was dispatched at 8:33 a.m., and arrived at the home within four minutes, finding a light smoke condition in the home.
When the fan was removed from the ceiling, it was quickly determined that the fire had extended and was travelling in the joist bays above the bathroom and kitchen, threatening the exterior walls of the home as well as an old addition leading to the attic. Additional fire companies overhauled these areas to find and extinguish the hidden fire.
United Illuminating was called to the scene to cut power at the utility pole so firefighters working around the power supply weather-head would not be placed at additional risk. The fire was declared under control at 9:02.
No injuries were reported at this incident, however the family of six residing at the address will be relocated until power is restored and repairs are made. The Red Cross is assisting the residents at this time. Deputy Fire Marshal Timothy Lunn is investigating.
(The website thanks the Fire Chief's Office and Dep. Chief Gary Merwede for providing the article and photos.)
Non-profit status as a 501(c)(7) will be investigated
Link to meeting minutes at RIGHT.
33rd Regular Meeting of the HFRA - January 10, 2017 (CLICK to enlarge)
Standing: Bob Mordecai, Bill Fitzmaurice, John Poe, Tom Doherty, Paul Frodel, Jim Koutsopolos, Don Buechele, Don LaBanca, Harold Mangler, Brian Forsyth, Bob Macauley, Austin Williams, John O'Dea and Bob Surprise. Seated: Dave Johnson, Rev. Owen Sanderson, Chick Manware, Gil Spencer, Doug Yocher and Ray Dobbs. Missing: Dan Murphy
Workmen's Oily Rags Start Fire at Temple Beth Sholom Hamden Firefighters Save Sacred Texts
The New Haven Register, Monday, January 17, 1972 (CLICK to enlarge for easier reading)
At 5:01 p.m., Engine 3, Engine 6, Ladder 1, Rescue 1 and Car 30 were dispatched to a reported building fire at Temple Beth Sholom, 1809 Whitney Avenue in the Spring Glen section of town.
Rags soaked in linseed oil, left by workman near a radiator in the library, were believed to have caused the fire. Firefighters brought the fire under control within an hour. Chief V. Paul Leddy described the damage as "quite extensive."
Long after the fire was out, Hamden firefighters, police and youth volunteers continued searching through the rubble to retrieve the remains of many books. Rabbi Alvin Berkun praised Hamden firefighters, who were able to rescue several Torah scrolls before they were completely destroyed in the blaze.
"Flash fire" originates in 2nd floor clothes closet - Heavy damage
January 13, 1954 (CLICK to enlarge)
81 Cannon Street today (CLICK to enlarge)
At 7:40 on the morning of Wednesday, January 13, 1954, the homeowner of 81 Cannon Street in Mt. Carmel dialed "0" and reported a fire in his home to an SNET telephone operator, who then notified the Hamden Fire Department. Engines 5 and 4, the Squad, and Hook and Ladder were dispatched.
The second floor of the home sustained considerable damage by what authorities described as a "flash fire" that got started in a clothes closet. The photo at left shows Capt. Joseph Hromadka in front of the house. As can be seen in the contemporary Government Solutions photo at right, the home was remodeled, opening up the porch and removing the middle second floor window.