This photo appeared in the December 30, 1981 edition of The Hamden Chronicle. The 1981 Hamden Professional Firefighters' Local 2687 drive to help a Hamden family at Christmastime would continue on in many forms, including toy drives for the Hospital of St. Raphael, Yale-New Haven Hospital, Hamden High Cheerleaders and, more recently, the Local's annual Thanksgiving turkey drive.
December 19, 1998
Retired Hamden Firefighter's Instructions to Mom Saves Child
Fifteen years ago, retired Hamden Firefighter Joe Yoga, then a dispatcher for the Cheshire Police Department, assisted a frantic mother who called for assistance when her child stopped breathing. While EMS was en route, Joe provided life-saving instructions to the child's distraught mother over the phone. Joe, a member of the HFRA, was appointed to the Hamden Fire Department in 1965. While fighting a Sherman Avenue fire that caused one fatality, Joe sustained severe back injuries and he retired in 1980.
CLICK to enlarge for easier reading
This photo from the 1968 Hamden Town Report was captioned, "Police-Fire refresher co-operation."
At fire headquarters, Lt. Luke Tobin and Firefighter Bill LaVelle are demonstrating the E&J resuscitator as Firefighter Howie Hurlburt, Sr. looks on at the extreme right. The Hamden police officers kneeling are Officers John Battick and Arnold Brown. Standing are Officers John Collack, John (Jack) Lynch, Fred Morton and Ray Copeland.
Shortly after this photo was taken, Lt. Tobin was promoted to captain when Capt. Bob "Bubby" O'Donnell was appointed Fire Marshal. We want to thank Sergeant Bill Gibson (HPD-Ret.) for identifying the police officers in this photograph. Bill supervised Central Communications from its beginning in 1981.
Website thanks to Richie Maybury for providing this photo of Local 2687 members at Station 3 preparing to deliver hundreds of toys to Yale-New Haven Hospital for Christmas 1997. L-R: Mark Bareltta, Richie Maybury, Unidentified Rep. from Y-NH, Dave Johnson and Ray Ramelli.
(Courtesy of the Hamden Historical Society)
This is the original quarters of the Centerville Volunteer Fire Co. 4, built in 1908. It was located approximately where the driveway apron to the town hall is located today. The building next door was torn down last April. Note the similarity in the design of both buildings.
Company 4's firehouse was razed in 1924 when the present town hall building was constructed. The Town of Hamden provided the fire company with a meeting room in the basement of the new fire station for its use until it disbanded. Although the company went inactive after World War II, Co. 4 members continued to meet regularly in Station 4's "volunteers' room" for decades thereafter. Well into the 1980s, several oldtimers showed up each week for their regular Sunday card game. One of them, Mario "Bucky" Serafino, was a career department member from the late 1930s until his retirement in 1973. Bucky passed away in 2001 at age 91.