This photo from the archives of the Hamden Historical Society identifies the gentleman in front the "Whitneyville Annex Fire Dept." on Merritt Street as "Chas. Flaherty." According to a history published in 1934, the name of the fire company was changed to "Merritt Street Volunteer Fire Co." in 1925.
Firefighter Ed Doiron drove Engine 6 out of the Merritt Street fire station for the last time when it closed in September 1970 (see other posting below).
c. 1921 - Charles Flaherty in front of the Whitneyville Annex Fire Department. The fire company was renamed the Merritt Street Volunteer Fire Co. 6 in 1925. (Photo courtesy of the Hamden Historical Society)
Sitting Watch at Station 3
1969 - Firefighter Ed Doiron at "old" Station 3 Watch Desk
44 Years Later at "new" Station 3 Watch Desk
Retiree Ed Doiron helped to monitor voting at Station 3 this week and found himself on familiar turf at the watch desk. Ed related how he and fellow "old" Platoon 1 firefighter Bob Slater reported to work as usual at Station 6 one night in September 1970 and were ordered to drive Engine 6 to "new" Station 3, thus leaving Station 6 for the final time. Upon arrival, Ed and Bob found the new fire station locked up tight. They had to wait for the deputy chief to show up with the key. Firefighters Doiron and Slater were also the first crew to respond to a call out of the new station. Ed served as Local 2687's first treasurer, from 1979 until his retirement in 1993.
August 1970 - Firefighter Ed Doiron at Station 6
August 1970 - Firefighter Bob Slater at Station 6
Scanned from the Board of Fire Commissioners' Minutes - Wednesday, November 12, 1958
Dedication Plaque for the 1959 Maxim "Cab-Forward" 750 Pumper, the first of that design manufactured by Maxim. (CLICK either image to enlarge)
Factory photo courtesy of Chan Brainard
December 2013 - Capt. Bernie Amatrudo and Ff. Ralph DiFonzo
November 1984 - Chief John Tramontano congratulates Bob Kelo following his swearing in as Lieutenant