quick reaction by Supt. Mike Murray saved life of Ff. John Reynolds.
The New Haven Register, April 27, 1993 (Courtesy of Gil Spencer)
Fire service support for West Texas, TX this week. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
60 Years Ago!
(scroll slowly and read everything)
(Photo courtesy of Tom Doherty)
60 years ago someone snapped this photo of Hamden's "Emergency Squad" outside Fire Headquarters. This week, the special significance of this particular photo isn't the truck, it's the building in the background. Scroll down.
Going . . .
Going . . .
G O N E !
Website thanks to Lieut. Gary Merwede, who shot the photos of the demolition earlier this week of 2384 Whitney Avenue, the building right next to Station 4. It is sad to see the disappearance of a landmark that held so many fond memories for those of us who worked at 4's ("Flo Alerts" anyone?).
Over the past century many different commercial establishments and apartments occupied the building. It even survived a fire 41 years ago in a fabric shop that occupied the same store that later housed Conte's Jewelry Store. Early Centerville photos confirm that this building was older than the town hall and even the old Reilly's Restaurant building that once stood on the other side, where Eli's stands today. Bye, bye!
Website thanks to Bob Freeman for yet another view of the mayhem next to 4's.
(Is that really a power shovel in the basement?)
Hamden's 1926 Maxim city service ladder truck near old Staion 3 on Putnam Avenue. This photo was provided to the archives many years ago by the late G. Donald Steele, who served as a volunteer at Co. 5 from the early 1960s until the 1980s.