It is with deep regret that we announce the passing of brother retired Hamden firefighter, Paul Reutenauer, on Sunday, March 25, 2012 in Florida.
Paul's fire service career began when he joined the Mt. Carmel Volunteer Fire Co. in 1951. He became a member of the career department in December 1957 and was assigned to old Platoon 2 under Deputy Chief Everett Doherty. From the start of the 42-hour workweek in 1970 until his retirement in March 1993, Paul served at Station 4 on Platoon 3. A great guy with a wonderful sense of humor, Paul will be missed by all who knew him.
Arrangements are being handled by the North Haven Funeral Home. Once the arrangements are complete, we will notify all online members by email and will post them here on the website.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Paul's family.
Ed. Note: This notice of Paul's passing was added to this Home Page on Sunday, March 25th.
May 11, 1986 - Lieut. Howie Hurlburt, Jr., Firefighter Jim Moore and Firefighter Paul Reutenauer getting ready to step off in the 1986 Hamden Bicentennial Parade on Whitney Avenue (Photo courtesy of Jim Moore)
Sunday, January 12, 1941
Midnight Fire Guts the "Old Peck School" on Hillfield Road
The Hillfield School, referred to by locals as the "Old Peck School," was a private girls' school that opened in 1916, when Miss Florence Peck moved the school from its original location in Wallingford. The building was located atop a hill on the left hand side of Hillfield Road, where Hillfield makes a hard right and Johnson Road goes straight ahead.
On Sunday morning, January 12, 1941, a fire of suspicious origin was discovered shortly after midnight, destroying the building which had been vacant for several years. This was fifteen years before the Westwoods Volunteer Fire Co. was organized, so the nearest fire companies were Companies 5 and 7.
Miss Alice Peck, sister of Florence, also taught at the school. She would later teach at the town's last one-room schoolhouse on the corner of Johnson and Still Hill. That school closed in June 1954 and would later serve as quarters for the Westwoods fire company. In September 1954, a new elementary school was erected on the north side of Hillfield at the corner of Shepard Avenue and was named for Miss Alice Peck.
The headline below should have read "Spectacular Fire Levels School in West Woods." This building was not the Mt. Carmel School, which was located on Woodruff Street - and demolished in 1981.
New Haven Journal-Courier, Monday, January 13, 1941 (Steele Collection)
New Haven Evening Register, Sunday, January 12, 1941 (Steele Collection)
The "Old Peck School," which stood atop the hill near the corner of Hillfield and Johnson Roads (Photo courtesy of the Hamden Historical Society)
Once in a while something is found among the "stuff" that brings back memories of a less complicated era. At right are the two sides of the very simple fire report form that served the department for decades.
These forms were completed by the drivers of every piece of apparatus that responded to an incident. The "Report Number" entered at the top of the form corresponded to the specific run for that piece of apparatus, and not the incident.
A new form was introduced in the 1980s, only one of which was required for each incident. The new form was completed by only the officer on the first arriving piece of apparatus.