Former Hamden firefighter Guy White sent these five photos from his first year of the department. At left, Guy, Ralph Tomaselli and Chick Manware are at parade rest on an overcast Memorial Day in 1971 by the Gulf Station opposite Shepard Avenue.
On the right is Firefighter Steve Hitchcock with several other 1970-71 Hamden appointees, examining a 2 1/2" Rockwood nozzle at the Willimantic Fire School later that summer.
CLICK on any of these five photos to enlarge.
Willimantic Fire School - Bill Coppola, Lt. Frank Cubbellotti (in white shirt behind Coppola), Steve Hitchcock, Chick Manware, Jim Hagerty (behind Manware), Howie Hurlburt, Jr., Bob Kenney, Bill Giaquinto and John Blasius (Co. 5 vol.)
Dave Howe in foreground; looks like Bernie Early at far right.
Bernie Early on the double line, and Ralph Tomaselli in foreground
No SCBAs in those days!
70 Years Ago Future Batt. Chief & Classmates Witness Fire Behind School
Newspaper article courtesy of the Strain family and the Hamden Historical Society
1966 Demo at Bear Path Joe Rahl and Dick Carney Wow the Kiddies
August 4, 1966 - This news photo was captioned, "Headquarters firemen Joseph Rahl and Richard Carney demonstrate 'resuscitation' to playground youngsters at Bear Path School with Cynthia Silvestri, far right, recreation instructor. Billie Ford, 7, is the 'victim.'" Rescue 2, a 1960 International Travel-al, is in the background. (Photo by I.A. Sneiderman)
Centerville from the Air
CLICK on the photo to enlarge (REALLY enlarge) for a closer look at how it was back then.
Memorial Town Hall is just about the only recognizable structure in this late-1940s aerial photo of Hamden center. The buildings at the northeast corner of Whitney and Dixwell burned down 71 years ago this week (CLICK February 18, 1941 – Matavolti Building, Whitney and Dixwell). The Brown Stone House Restaurant would not be built on that site until 1949.
Grace Episcopal Church, immediately west of the town hall, was moved to its present location across Dixwell Avenue in September 1966. The town's WWII honor roll can be seen on the other side of the church. The roll was removed in the early 1950s to make way for Hamden's new police headquarters and the former Miller Memorial Library, which are now scheduled for demolition.
Except for Centerville School (now the Miller Library) and Grace Episcopal Church, most of the buildings along Dixwell Avenue have been demolished to make way for newer structures.
Older Hamdenites will remember the Pepsi-Cola bottling plant and warehouse on Whitney, just north of School Street, which was demoilished in the early 1970s to make way for the mid-rise apartment building at 2405 Whitney. (Photo courtesy of the Hamden Historical Society)