Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and colleagues of Easton firefighter, Lt. Russell Neary, who died after being struck by a tree limb on Monday evening as he was removing debris from the road. Please also remember our neighbors who live along the Connecticut shoreline, and all along the East Coast, whose homes and businesses were devastated by the horrendous tidal surges that accompanied Hurricane Sandy. They are in our thoughts and prayers at this very difficult time.
"A Century Plus of Us" - CLICK photo to watch video
"A Century Plus of Us"
After a pretty rough week, we thought our website fans might enjoy a light-hearted, three-minute video retrospective. It is a 100-plus year montage of photos of Hamden Fire Department personnel and apparatus, thanks to our many photo contributors.
You will see no fires, accidents, hurricanes or floods - only us. In fact, it's a "A Century Plus of Us." Enjoy!
(NOTE: A random YouTube ad, NOT of our choosing, may pop-up during the first few seconds of the video - just "X" it out.)
Retired Supt. of Alarms & Apparatus Richie Lostritto (pictured far right) sent this Halloween photo, taken many years ago in front of Station 2. Hydrant Maintainer Larry Gershman (back to camera) assists Richie and an unidentified guy (hmmmm), while they replace yet another head gasket on the Waukesha powerplant in Engine 1. The repair shop guys could usually be counted upon to don ridiculous outfits on Halloween, but that year they observed the occasion by just being themselves. (Who was that masked man?)
Something to Think About!
This is for real. This display ad for a local insurance agency appeared in an issue of The Hamden Chronicle 64 years ago. The headline caught our eye because it seemed so implausible. How could a bird start a fire in a church steeple? Well, read the ad.
Another retired firefighter present when we spotted the ad confimed that this weird phenomenon was a reality back in the day when almost everyone smoked cigarettes (well, almost everyone) and the careless disposal of butts (i.e. "littering") was as commonplace as the garden variety pigeon.
So, since both pigeons and smokers are still among us - although smokers today are far less ubiquitous - beware that this type of incendiary event could easily happen today.
The Hamden Chronicle, November 19, 1948 - Courtesy of the Hamden Historical Society