The members of the Hamden Fire Retirees Association, Inc. are honored to announce that, as of October 9, 2012, all twenty-six surviving widows of our deceased brothers have been officially inducted into this Association as Honorary Members:
1921 - 25th Anniversary of the Highwood Volunteer Fire Association (Photo courtesy of the Hamden Historical society)
The HFRA thanks Hamden Historical Society archivist Joe Pepe for locating an original copy of the 25th anniversary program, commemorating the December 10, 1896 organization of the Highwood Volunteer Fire Association, from which this photo was scanned. The members are seen gathered in front of the Highwood station at the corner of Dixwell Avenue and Morse Street. Their 1918 Stewart chemical truck was only three years old when this photo was taken. Co. 7 received the chemical truck in 1926 when it was replaced at the Highwood station by a new Maxim 500 gpm pumper. The Highwood station closed in October 1951 and was sold shortly thereafter. The building still stands today.
Stan Brown's 1967 photo of Station 2, courtesy of Chan Brainard, showing (L-R) the 1959 Maxim "cab-forward" (Engine 2), the 1958 Maxim 75' "Junior" Aerial (Ladder 1), and the 1938 Seagrave "canopy cab" (Engine 1).
December 2001 - Ff. Kevin O'Hare, Capt. Don LaBanca and Ff. Ray Dobbs at Station 9, celebrating Ray's last day on the job after 32 years on the job. Kevin retired two years later. Don, now a BC and the most senior member of the department, is presently in his 35th year on the job. (Photo by Bob Mordecai)