New Haven's Firehouse Restaurant on State Street, established in the early 1970s by two New Haven firefighters, was a popular eatery and pub that was frequented by many Hamden firefighters - in their off-duty time, of course.Before the annual retirement dinners were organized in 1980, retiring firefighters did not have a formal retirement dinner. Such honors, if they happend at all, were usually entrusted to the individual platoons.
In April 1979, three veteran members of Platoon 2 were honored by their platoon and members of other shifts in the "back room" at the Firehouse Restaurant. In the photo below, shift commander Dep. Chief Joe McDermott presented retirement plaques to Lieut Dave Herrmann, Ff. Fiore (Frank) Cubbellotti, and Ff. Warren Blake.
Dep. Chief Joe McDermott presents retirement plaques to Lieut. Dave Herrmann, Ff. Frank Cubbellotti, and Ff. Warren Blake - CLICK TO ENLARGE
Dave Herrman joined the department in October 1949. He was promoted to lieutenant in 1970, when the workweek changed to 42 hours and an additional platoon was added. He passed away in May of 1998. Frank Cubbellotti joined the department in November 1951 and retired April 13, 1979. He passed away in May 1997. Warren Blake joined the department in April 1949. A WWII veteran, he was recalled to the U.S. Navy during the Korean War and returned to the department in 1953. Warren retired April 20, 1979, almost 30 years to the day after he joined the department. In the summer of 2009, Warren was among the first retirees to join the new Hamden Fire Retirees Association. Sadly, he passed in September of that year.
Prominently displayed in the banquet room was a poster-size enlargement of this January 1976 New Haven Register award-winning photo by James Meehan (at right) of NHFD Firefighters Kevin Miller and David Whitney administering oxygen to fellow Firefighter Bruce Green.
Photo by James Meehan (New Haven Firefighters - Arcadia Publishing, 2005) - CLICK TO ENLARGE
September 2, 1948 - Bowling at old 3's - CLICK TO ENLARGE
Commissioner Elton Wetmore, chairman of the Hamden Board of Fire Commissioners, inspects the fire scene at his brother's 231 Lane Street property on Saturday, September 6, 1958. This microfilm copy of the 9/11/1958 Hamden Chronicle article is courtesy of Joe Pepe, retired archivist for the Hamden Historical Society. CLICK TO ENLARGE